Resolutions ‘08

Here we go again, a new year and some new resolutions. Each year, come January 1st, quite a lot of people find themselves making promises to themselves which they hope to stay committed to for 365 days. I often wonder how many last past the first 30 days.

As I consider resolutions, I can’t help but recall the hymn I Am Resolved, by Palmer Hartsough.

The very first verse should be the desire of every professing Christian, and for the repentant heart which comes to Christ for salvation:


I am resolved no longer to linger,
Charmed by the world’s delight,
Things that are higher, things that are nobler,
These have allured my sight.

And to those which know not the loving Savior, Jesus Christ, and to the backslidden Christian, such is the refrain of hope to which we pray their hearts will be moved:

I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.
I will hasten, hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.

Let not our resolutions be fixed solely upon the desires and wants of the flesh, but let them be spiritual in thought, whereby we may live as one who shall hear, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”

No comments: